14.195MHz

Wow! I just had the “pleasure” of listening to a DX conversation between a German station and an Italian station on 14.195MHz.  It appears that IT9RYH (Nino) has an agenda that most other stations don’t understand or agree with.  I’m still new to the hobby so I’ve not really got much of an opinion on it, but either way it was an interesting conversation.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditmail

WSPR

I’ve been playing around with WSPR over the last few evenings with my new Yaesu FT-817ND.  WSPR stands for Weak Signal Propagation Reporter.  You basically send low power signals out over HF and some software on another persons computer picks these signals up and decodes them so you can see how far your signals getting. I’ve finally made my first trans-Atlantic contact.  Station W3HH in Florida could hear my transmissions at 5W from the UK.

It took me quite a bit of reading to get WSPR setup correctly, so I thought I’d write a blog post on how to do it in the future.  Some of the options and settings you need to choose for both the software on the computer and the radio were difficult to work out.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditmail

Diamond SRH805S and Yaesu FT-60R/E

In case your thinking of buying a Diamond SRH805S for your Yaesu FT-60R/E, then beware – it doesn’t make a flush fit with the radio and the rubber washer thats supplied is around 3mm too thin.

Big gap between the Diamond SRH805S and Yaesu FT-60R/E

I’m off to B&Q tomorrow to see if I can find a rubber washer that will fill the gap…

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditmail

Rock-Mite Update #6

I spent the best part of the afternoon looking at the Rock-Mite 40 QRP transceiver today.

I’d been trying to get it working a few months ago before I changed jobs, I had to put the project had to go on hold to concentrate on learning PL\SQL and SQL for my new job.

The last time I looked at it, I knew I had put Q5 in the wrong way around, and I had smoke coming from Q6 when I bench tested the device.  So this afternoon I started by removing Q5 and Q6 and replacing them with fresh components (obviously putting Q5 in the right way around).  A new bench test produced no smoke, but the transceiver still wasn’t working.  A new test of U1,U2 and U3 voltages showed that things were still not right on U3.  I sat looking at every component on the board until I finally spotted another mistake – Q2 was also the wrong way around!  I’m not sure how I made so many mistakes on this board, but hopefully this is the last one.

Rock-Mite 40 Problems

For now I’ve removed the transistor, but I don’t have any 2N7000’s in my spares box, so I’ve had to order some from eBay.  These should come next week.  If they do I can put a new one in and see how that changes things. With any luck I should be able to hear some CW 🙂

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditmail